Scenic View

Bald Eagles and Mount Shasta

Leonard teases me about how careful I am with my pictures – backing up and then backing up the back-ups. So I was horrified when I, in an instant, accidentally deleted a large quantity of photographs that, being lazy, I had not backed up for a few days. I still do not know what I did, but these pictures were not in the recycle bin or any other retrievable place, including “system restore”. Thankfully a friend spent two days searching through my computer and finally found the pictures. Yes!! They are now back. But that left me without my computer and pictures for two days. A quick post this evening will keep me on my self-imposed schedule.

Bald eagles (Haliasetus leucodephalus) are year-long residents of Big Valley, my home in Modoc County CA. In the fall and winter their numbers seem to dramatically increase, only to taper off again in the spring and summer. The increase in bald eagle numbers seems to correlate with the arrival of migrating winter waterfowl, on which the eagles feed.  The bald eagles are back.

Recently Leonard and I saw a golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) and five bald eagles sitting in a row on fence posts about two miles from our house. I like this photo of three of those bald eagles, cattle grazing in the surrounding pastures and Big Valley Mountain with Mount Shasta in the background. How lucky we are to live in such a beautiful place!

This entry was posted in Birds and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Scenic View

1. Rockie says:

This is such a great picture. I have never seen that many Eagle in one place before

2. I love this photo. How funny to see three Bald Eagles on a fence, as if they were some abundant, prosaic bird. Thanks for sharing!

• gingkochris says:

I remember how excited I was to see my first bald eagle, having grown up where there were none. Now they are abundant where I live, and unfortunately I often become blase about seeing bald eagles. I must continuously remind myself of the treasures just outside my windows.

3. usermattw says:

What a beautiful picture! No need to knock yourself out over detailed posts when you can just post something like this. 🙂 And what a relief to get your pictures back. I know how your heart can sink when you think your work is suddenly lost.

• gingkochris says:

Thanks, Matt! As you know, I use my posts as a stimulus for research that I might otherwise let slide. Obviously I learned the hard way not to let saving and categorizing photos take a back seat to reading. Thankfully no harm done – and it will not happen again.

4. Mike Powell says:

It’s amazing to think of living in a place where a photo like that is possible. I’ve lived most of my life in the suburbs, where such a scene would never be possible. One bald eagle in a photo would be amazing–three of them at once is mind-blowing.

• gingkochris says:

Actually, there were two more bald eagles and one golden eagle on consecutive fence posts to the right of the three pictured eagles. I wanted to get Mount Shasta into the photo and could only fit three of the six eagles into the frame. I sometimes forget how lucky I am to live in such a remote area. Thanks for reminding me!

5. Lin says:

WOW…gorgeous photo !!! A bald eagle flew in front of the butte outside our family room window this morning.